Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 25-Sun. Nov. 15, Palatka, FL-142 miles

Today was my highest mileage day ever, biking 142 miles from Perry to Palatka, FL., a historic town on the St. Johns River. Our motel room, in fact, is overlooking the river. Very beautiful. I felt great during and after todays ride. Not sore or exhausted. I was even able to average a 17.5 mph. I also rode through areas where there are many springs. Beautiful clear, cold water springs. I even saw a dead alligator on the side of the road--about 4 ft. long.
I rode through High Springs, Alachua, Gaineville, Hawthorne and many other smaller towns.
The Lord was with me again protecting me on the road. The roads in Florida have been very good, but today there was a 10 mi. section I didn't have any shoulder and was a little curvy. A semi truck came up behind me and passed me as other cars were going in the other direction, so the truck couldn't move over and I was riding the white line, knowing what was about to pass me. As it did so I was within about a foot of the tractor-trailor, and even felt like I was being sucked in toward the trailer. Was a very close call, and I praise the Lord for His guardian angels that are always with me.
I only have about 46 miles to go to the Atlantic in St. Augustine. I wasn't going to ride tomorrow, because I was going to ride my last leg when Janine could come down on Tues. But I just received a call from Janine and she may be called off tomorrow because of low census on her floor in the hospital. So if she is called off she will come tomorrow, and I'll go ahead and finish tomorrow. I'll know for sure in the morning.
It's hard to believe its almost over. God has been so good to me in keeping me safe and giving me strength to complete this life-long goal I've had.
I appreciate every ones interest in my trip and following my blog. Thank you to all for your support and prayers.
When I get back I have to go see my oncologist for lab work and more treatment on Monday. I'm anxious to see what the results will be. I feel so good and feel like there is nothing wrong with me physically. Maybe all this biking knocked the cancer out of me?! Whatever the case may be I will praise God for the work He has done in my life and know it is only by His Spirit and strength that I have been able to accomplish this arduous journey. And He will be with me just as well through the battle I have to fight against this disease, just like He has been with me day by day during this biking experience.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! God is good all the time! May the Lord bless your last day of riding!

    ReplyDelete