Friday, November 13, 2009

Day 24-Fri. Nov. 13, Perry, FL--97 miles

What a beautiful, scenic ride it was today. I rode about 20 miles through the Apalachicola National Forest. Then rode through many miles of swampland and many rivers and creeks. The forests were very beautiful. It was neat to see all the various sizes of palmettos growing among the huge live oaks with spanish moss hanging from their branches. I thought this is what it must have looked like many years ago when settlers first arrived.
Quit early today, around 2:40, only putting in 97 miles to spend Sabbath in Perry, FL. There is a small church here which we will attend tomorrow. Faith is hoping for a potluck so she won't have to cook in the motel.
I only have about 175 miles left to go, and three days to do it in. So Sun-Tues will be even shorter riding days. It will seem like a breeze after doing over 100 miles each day for most of the trip.
While riding today I came upon something on shoulder of the road I thought was just some road trash. After riding by this supposed trash, I noticed it was a snake. It was coiled up sunning itself. It looked like 4-5 ft. long copperhead, and I had just rolled past it within 4-6 inches. It didn't even flinch, for which I was thankful. I'd hate to have my journey end by a snake bite to the ankle or leg.
Today I rode out of the panhandle of Florida. Florida is the second longest state I have to ride through, about 450 miles.
Sorry, no pictures were taken today. Maybe will get some tomorrow when we go to some park in the afternoon.
Happy Sabbath to everyone! Really looking forward to seeing many of you next Sabbath, when I'm finally back home in Dunlap, TN.

No comments:

Post a Comment