Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 22-Wed. Nov. 11, Navarre, FL--100 miles

Happy Veteran's Day! It was neat to see all the flags flying as I rode through town after town. Even saw some veterans outside participating in ceremonies. I am very proud to be an American and am so thankful to all who have served and sacrificed to secure and protect our freedoms.
The wind was very strong today, blowing against me most of the time at 20-30 mph. But was still able to get in 100 miles. Was planning on taking the toll ferry from Dauphin Island to Ft. Morgan across Mobile Bay, and rode down there only to find out they were closed due to the high winds. I should have called first. So I had David drive me around to the other side to pick it up in Gulf Shores. Then rode the rest of the way across AL to FL and through Pensacola on to Navarre along US hwy 98. Driving into FL we did not find a Florida welcome sign. So just took a picture of the Navarre Beach sign to show that we have finally arrived in Florida, the last state through which I have to ride on my to the Atlantic Ocean. I'm still so far ahead, even after taking two days off this weeks because of Ida. So will probably take another day off next week, so I don't finish before Janine comes down on Tues. Less than a week to go, yeah!!
Started biking at 7:15 am and finished by 3:15 pm. Keeping it short so as not get too many miles in.
Along the ride today we met another cyclist with paniers and towing a trailer. He also started in San Diego and is headed to St. Augustine. He's retired from the military.
My bike is holding up very well. Although it is very dirty. Will give it a good cleaning when I get home.
The roads were great in Alabama, and so far they have been good in Florida. Makes me really appreicate good roads and shoulders and bridges after having ridden through Louisiana.
My cyclocomputer I started out with has failed and so had to put on my old one. Fortunately I brought it along as a backup.
Again, to any veterans and all servicemen reading this blog, I want to say a great big thank you for your service and all that you gave so unselfishly, and continue to give. We owe you all so much. God bless you all!!















No comments:

Post a Comment