Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 16-Mon. Nov. 2, Bryan, TX--135 miles




Today was a good day! The weather was perfect, with the wind being calm, and not so many hills. I was able to get in 135 miles, riding all the way to Bryan, TX, near College Station, home of Texas A&M Univ., and also home to the George Bush presidential library and museum. You can't see it very well, but I took a picture of the eastern half of Texas with the point of the pen pointing to where we are now; just northwest of Houston. Should be in Louisiana by Wed. noon.
The picture of me at my computer shows me working on the blog in the motel room, as I do each evening.
Now I have a story to tell of how God is taking care of me and answers prayer. Remember in yesterday's post I told of my contact lens getting lost in my right eye. We tried several times to get it out and to no avail. I finally decided to just go to bed and see if in the morning it might drop and I could get it out. Well, I slept great, no discomfort in the eye, and I checked to see if I could find it again but couldn't. However, I felt no discomfort, and thought maybe it had come out during the night or I had gotten it out inadvertently. So I went ahead and put another contact lens in that eye and it felt normal. So I rode all day with no problem. During the very end of my ride with only 15 miles to go, I looked down at my leg for some reason, and as I did so I felt something move in my right eye. I looked up and and I eye was feeling uncomfortable and felt like something was in my eye that shouldn't be there. I thought maybe my contact had moved. And I was seeing double--with two white lines to follow. I rode awhile like that hoping it would correct itself. But after a couple of miles I stopped because it was just bothering my riding and making it too dangerous. I thought I would just take out my contact and ride with just one, as I have done before. But didn't want to throw it away, so thought where I could put it. I had two full water bottles on my bike. So decided to drink down one of the bottles to where it had just a little water in the bottom and I would put the contact in there until I got to the motel room. I took out the contact and dropped it in my water bottle. Then I looked up, and noticed I could still see good and clear. Wow! I must still have another contact in my eye. Sure enough, I had been riding all day with two contacts in my eye and didn't even notice it. I guess it had been lodged up hight in my eyelid, then dropped down and overlapped the other one when I looked down, and that's what made me see double. I praise God for helping me to find that other contact. I had just called Faith a little earlier to have her make an appt. for me with the optometrist to see if the contact was still in my eye and to get it out. Well, I called back and told her to cancel the appt. I am so happy and thankful to have this problem resolved and not to have to waste time out of my biking to go see a doctor.
The terrain is getting more flat and green, with lots more farmland. Looking forward to seeing the Gulf of Mexico next week. I'll be riding beside it for quite aways, going through Gulfport, Biloxi, Mobile, Gulf Shores, Panama City, Pensacola, and then across Florida.


1 comment:

  1. Great how the contact came out for you! I would toss the extra contact though--- protecting your vision is just too important. (The country doctor coming out in me!). And the only regret is for the Eye doctor or Family doctor that didn't get to have the privilege of having you as a patient!

    your brother & your Family Doc!

    Dr. George

    ReplyDelete