Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Cause? To God Be the Glory

Several times people have asked me why I am doing this across the country bike trip. For what cause am I riding? And I've never had a very good answer. I would just say it has always been something I wanted to do. For those of you who have seen the movie "Bucket List", you will know what I'm talking about. There are these two men dying of cancer and both come up with a "bucket list", things they would like to do before they kick the bucket. So after watcing it I made my own "bucket list", and one of the things I put down was to bike across the country. But riding along day after day and having plenty of time to think and meditate, I think I have found my cause.
I ride to the praise and glory of God for what great things He has done in my life, and how He has prepared me to be able to do this grand adventure. I know it is only possible because the strength He gives me from day to day. After being diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer, with major surgery, radiation, three rounds of chemo and still in treatment with my tumors still growing, you would think I should be content enough to just stay home and survive one day at a time. But I refuse to be bound by my circumstances and allow them to control me. NO! By God's grace I choose to be a cancer thriver, not just a cancer survivor. I want to live each day to the fullest and plan big things, and know that with God all things are possible. I can overcome my circumstances and live life with purpose, passion, and all the potential that God has given me. So I praise God that He has given me this opportunity to show to all what God can do through someone even in my condition, who just took up biking this spring, and is able to bike across the country--3000 miles-- in less than a month, averaging over 100 miles per day.
God is good! I ride for HIM! He is my Inspiration, my Strength, my Protector, my Health, my Providor of all things good.
All through this trip I have continued to claim the promise of Zech. 4:6, which has also become my motto for this journey. For I know that it is not in my strength, or by my power, but only by His Spirit, which lives in me, that I am to accomplish any good and really live!

1 comment:

  1. Great the way your verbalize your purpose for this Bike Trip and your purpose in living! That is inspiring Bro!

    George

    ReplyDelete