Friday, November 6, 2009

Bike and Gear

Thought I would take a few minutes and detail what sort of gear I take with me while I ride and what kind of bike I have, for those who are interested.
First of all, I have a Scott Addict R4 road bike, 20 speed, with dura ace components. The bike, all carbon frame, weighs approx. 16-17 lbs without saddle bag or water bottles. I use continental gatorskin tires with kevlar bead that have held up real well. The keep 100-11o lb psi in the tires, and check them daily for pressure. I put on a Brooks leather saddle, which is heavier than a racing saddle, but I find it to be quite comfortable for me, now that I have it broken in. Only bad thing is you don't want to get it wet. And I conditon it about every 500-1000 miles, depending on conditions. I use Shimano road bike shoes that clip in to Keo pedals. You turn your feet sideways to unclip out of the pedals, something I didn't know when I first tried it out, and had to get help from Josh and Caleb. I started the trip out with aerobars, but took them off after day 2, as I did not find them that helpful in my situation. I have a compact crank with a 50 tooth large chain ring and a 34 tooth small chain ring. The rear cassette ratio is 11-28 teeth. I've only had to use the lowest gear setting a couple of times on the trip. Attached to the seat stay is a rear blinking red light which I have used about six times as it gets dark. Going through Calif. and Ariz. I wore a camelbak hydration backpack which carried 3 liters of water in addition to the two water bottles that are always on my bike. Going through the hottest part of the desert I drank appox. 3 gal. of water and gatorade. Once into New Mexico I stopped using the backpack, and now only use water, no gatorade, in my waterbottles, as I am not sweating as much. But I still drink pleny of water. Anywhere from 1-2 gallons a day.
I have a medium size bag attached to my saddle. In it I carry a spare tube, co2 air cartridge for inflation, tools, cash, and a knife. I wear a jersey with 3 pockets in the back. In them I carry my cell phone (very essential), a credit card, chapstick, and at during the first third of the trip I would carry energy bars (cliffbars), and/or hammer gel packets. Now I find I don't them. I just stop for lunch around 12-1 and that is enough to keep me going and feeling good. Of course I eat a very hearty breakfast and a good supper. I find what refreshes me most and gives me a boost is orange juice--the fresh squeezed kind with lots of pulp. I love it! I go through almost a half gallon a day.
Also on my bike is a Cateye cyclocomputer, which gives me my speed, distance each day, total mileage, clock, timer, and cadence (rpm).
I wear nicely padded biking shorts, most with 8 panels. I wear a Giro atmos helmet. I wear Giro padded half-finger gloves. For those cold mornings or mountain rides, I have arm and leg warmers, and shoe covers, wool socks, warm gloves, balaclava (to keep head warm), long sleeve jersey, and rain coat if necessary (only rained once so far). I always wear my sunglasses with my contacts in so I can see.
Well, I guess that about does it. Don't know of how much interest this is for most of you, but thought some may like to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment