Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day 15-Sun. Nov. 1, Burnet, TX-123 miles

What a beautiful day it was! I started riding at 7:30 when it was quite cold-33 degress, but quickly warmed up in the full sunshine. We had to drive from our motel to where I left off Friday, about 50 miles. On the way we saw over 3 dozen deer, and many were 8 pt. bucks!
Even before I started biking, I felt my contact in my right eye go up into my eyelid. I tried several times to get it out but couldn't, so just rode with it like that all day. In the evening we tried flushing it out, using a q-tip, etc, but with no success. Will sleep on it and hope and pray it come out in the morning. If not, I'll have to see an optometrist to get it out.
I saw my first live snake today on the road while riding. Looked like a rattler . Rode within 2 ft. of it but it didn't move, too cold I think. And there were a lot of grasshoppers and caterpillars all along the road as I traveled. And like everything else in Texas, they huge!
About 10 miles into my ride I had another rear flat. I found two thorns in the tire and pulled them out.
I rode from Menard to Burnet, Tx on route 29 for 123 miles, and boy did I have to work hard for every one of those miles. The wind was against me for most of the day, and there were so many hills, one hill after another the whole way. My gps told me I had climbed 3000 ft. today.
Along the way you would see one ranch after another with these big gateways with their names over the entryway. It is getting greener the further we go into Texas. Its a nice change.
Burnet is just above Austin. And tomorrow I hope to make it to College Station, TX.
I tried to download some pictures , but couldn't get it to work. But I was able to load the pictures on my facebook page, so go there to see the pictures for today, in the album for Days 13-19.

2 comments:

  1. We have been following along, look forward to reading your daily updates and pictures. We are inspired by the strength and courage that the Lord has blessed you with. We are praying that He will keep you, Faith and Dave safe. Cathy P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the contact situation? That sounds positively miserable. Hope you didn't scratch your cornea. Stay away from those snakes! Glad you're getting in some 100 plus mile days--means you'll be home sooner.

    ReplyDelete