Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 13-Thurs Oct. 29-Jct. 190 & I-10- 68 miles

Just when I thougth it couldn't get any worse, it did. Yesterday the wind was terrible. But today I woke up to 35 degrees, wind 20-30 mph from northwest, and sleeting mixed with rain. I decided to give it a try. So I rode 16.5 miles with Dave following me. I was getting wet and cold from the freezing rain and sleet, so decided to stop. Waited around in the motel room and then after lunch went out again. Still blowing hard and cold, it had warmed up to 45, but at least it wasn't raining, just a little bit of sleet every once in awhile. So again I set out to get at least 50 more miles in. I had to ride the interstate this time, so Dave went ahead of me about 5 miles at a time and waited till I caught up. I was able to get in a total of 68 miles in what would otherwise have been a wasted day. I actually worked up a sweat and had to shed some layers.
Today was the first cloudy day and the first rain we've seen on our trip, so I can't complain. Suppose to be sunny for the next week in Texas, but getting cold tonight--35.
I'm not able to download any pictures right now as my computer won't connect to their wifi, so am using the computer in the lobby. Will add more pictures later.
Speaking of everything being bigger in Texas, that also goes for the speed limit on the interstate--80 mph! Unfortunately, I'm not quite able to get up to that speed, but I'm trying. The best I can do is 48 mph (downhill).
Faith made a great lunch and supper today (as she always does), but even more so today because we had to stay in the same motel room for a second day, since the next town is 120 miles away. For lunch she made homemade tomato soup and sandwiches. For supper, homemade alfredo sauce with noodles, cooked carrots, and salad.
I sure do miss my boys!! Hi Josh and Caleb. Hope you are reading this. Would love to have done this trip with you. Maybe some other time we can do a shorter trip together.
My cyclocomputer stopped working today. Not sure why. Maybe it was the rain or the cold. I really rely on it alot as to how far I've gone, how fast I'm going, what is my average mph, my riding time, and my rpm or cadence. May have to get a new one when I come to a bike shop. Right now the town are small and far apart, so will probably have to wait awhile.
Well I need to say good night. God bless all of you.

2 comments:

  1. Dave,
    It is a good thing you have slowed down a little because you do not want to catch up to the storms they are having east of you! TX storms are like none other!! You can hear the rain marching towards you like thousands of soldiers. Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pace yourself with the tough weather you are having. God always has a plan trumps whatever the Enemy throw our way. Be realistic on how you adapt to the challenges you come across!

    With the long stretches, do you listen in one ear to an ipod? You know me, safety being a big deal-- keep one ear open! Also, if you have blue tooth ear set or an ear plug from your phone-- it would be fun to call in to say hi while you are riding -- if it would be encouraging to you!!

    We are all proud of you Bro! YOU definitely have what it takes!

    George

    ReplyDelete