Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 12-Wed. Oct. 28, Exit 229 I-10, 93 miles

Today has been the windiest day yet. All day long I had to fight crosswinds from 20-30 mph and gusting to over 40 mph. Quite dangerous, especially when riding on the interstate, as I was for nearly 80 miles on I-10. You'll see a stretch of it in the picture below. You will also see Dave Kneller doing pushups in the desert while waiting for me to catch up with him. Then for lunch we stopped at a rest area, but the wind so terrible, we had to move the van so the back was away from the wind.
I also had another flat today, because the road I was riding on was so rough. I hoped to go farther today, but the wind just wore me out from trying to fight it all day long. The wind would actually move you 1-2 ft. while riding, and many times I was had to lean about 20 degrees into the wind to keep from falling over. And when going down a long hill that I could normally do 30-35 mph, I couldn't go any faster than 15mph because of the wind pushing against me.
Tomorrow I will be off the interstate after about 50 miles and then head east on US 190 towards Austin, TX.
Quite a warm day today-85 degrees and sunny. Haven't seen any rain yet on our trip. I'm sure I'll run in to it once I get into eastern Texas. Looking forward to seeing some trees and greenery. Tired of all the desert and arid lands.
Well, need to go to bed. Hope to leave by 7:30 in the morning and get in over 100 miles.
Thanks to all you who are following this blog. Appreciate your comments and prayers.
Good night.
















3 comments:

  1. Dear Dave,
    Sorry your biking buddy had to leave. You will continue to be in our hearts and minds as you persevere on across Texas. All that Bible study and verses hidden in your heart will come in handy as you ride the long, monotonous road. Invited Janine to lunch yesterday, but she wasn't home. May you continue to find joy in your journey! Much love and friendship, Melanie & George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dave,
    If you get bored, you can count wind mills! I used to give the boys coins for every windmill they spotted first! It is amazing how many windmills are in TX....
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat to see your support team and your neat Father-IN-LAW doing his amazing pushups! He does 50 or so on a regular basis doesn't he?

    George

    ReplyDelete