Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 11-Tues. Oct. 27-Van Horn, TX-129 miles

No pictures today so will just write. Today I rode the most miles to date--129. Also, went over the 1000 mile mark. I forgot to mention yesterday Dave and I saw two roadrunners (birds) running across and along side the road in NM. And today a coyote came out in the road in front of me about 50 ft, then ran off into the desert, stopped and looked at me for awhile.
While riding through El Paso I was withing a stone's throw of the US-Mexico border for several miles. Once out of El Paso, I rode through many fields of cotton and lots of pecan orchards.
I also had two rear flats today. The second time I had replace the tire as well.
The day started out at 38 degrees and warmed up to 75. But the wind was in my face most of the time. I got in to Van Horn, TX just after sunset, and Faith was too tired to cook so we ate out at a Mexican rest. The food was very hot!!!
Missing Dave Ryder. He was such an inspiration to me to keep going and setting a good pace. Riding is a lot harder mentally than physically. Especially here in Texas where there is mile after boring mile of wide open ranges and towns far apart. But I have plenty of time to reflect, think, and pray while I ride. It has been a good experience for me. But am longing to go home. I know, I know. I have three more weeks to go. Once I get through Texas it will all seem like downhill from there.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bro!

    Catching up on your neat blog here. It is quite an adventure you are on and we are there with you via the Spirit of our amazing God!

    It is neat to see your discipline of dealing with the huge challenges you have. Great to see you and your get it done attitude! Know we are on your team!

    George

    ReplyDelete