Thursday, September 17, 2009

Riding in the Rain

Well it is only 3 and half weeks before we leave to San Diego. I am getting excited and feel I will be ready.
It has been raining a lot this week so have not had much opportunity to ride. But I did ride Tuesday to Spencer and back to my house, about 32 miles. Then today I was looking forward to a nice long bike ride to Powells Crossroads and back. When I woke up it wasn't raining, but then about 8 it started to rain. I waited to 9 to see if it would let up but it didn't. So I decided to just go ahead and bike in the rain anyways, because I really needed to get some miles in. Also, I wanted to see what it would be like to bike in the rain, as I knew I would definitely have to do some biking in the rain on the trip, so I might as well get used to it. At first it wasn't bad. But then going down 111 into Dunlap it really poured. I was a little worried going down the mountain in the rain and those curves. And I didn't know how my brakes would respond in with wet rims. But I was able to coast down between 15-20 mph, whereas I normally zip along at 40-45 mph. But I didn't want to risk losing control and having an accident. The brakes did relatively well. Although it was hard to hold the bike back on the steepest parts. I thank the Lord for keeping me safe.
I biked to Powells Crossroads, using East Valley Rd. on the way there and Hwy 28 on the way back. It was 60 miles exactly, and it took me 3 hours and 47 min, with an elevation gain of 2200'.
I was completely soaked from head to toe. I just bought a Brooks leather "swift" saddle, as I heard they were one of the most comfortable, and even though they are heavier, it is worth the extra weight when riding day after day. I do have to break it in though. And you not suppose to let them get wet. So I put a plastic Wal-mart bag over it, and it worked well keeping it dry.
I hope to bike 50 miles tomorrow, probably to Sparta and back home.
Then sometime before we leave I want to get in a couple of centuries (100 mile rides), back to back.
I praise God He is giving me the strength to train for this trip and look forward to going.

No comments:

Post a Comment